As a homeowner and perhaps even a gardener, there are a few tools you should always have available so you can tackle those chores around the house. A good leaf rake is one such tool you should have that can help make your outdoor chores a bit easier.
When it comes time to purchase a leaf rake or even buy a replacement for your old one, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
At a Glance: Our Top 10 Picks for Best Leaf Rakes
- Fiskars Leaf Rake
- Gardenite Adjustable Garden Leaf Rake
- Bully Tools Bow Rake
- Ames Welded Bow Rake
- RazorBack Steel Rake
- TRG GK102R The Groundskeeper II Rake
- TABOR TOOLS J16A Telescopic Metal Rake
- Omni Products Telescopic Foldable Garden Rake
- Corona RK 62061 Fixed Tine Leaf Rake
- ORIENTOOLS Telescopic Steel Leaf Rake
Selecting The Best Leaf Rake to Buy
First of all, the leaf rake needs to be durable. You don’t want to purchase a rake only to have it fall apart on you or break the first day out.
Most hardware stores offer plastic rakes that are affordable but keep in mind that these rakes are meant to be disposable and are often only used for one season if it even lasts that long.
It would be smarter to make a slightly larger investment to get a good rake that will last you.
How long do you think your rake will need to last and how often do you plan on using it?
Answering these simple questions can also help put you on the right track when choosing a new rake.
Next, you want to look at the handles.
When you use your rake heavily or very frequently, these metal handles can begin to warp and even bend because of this frequent use.
However, if you opt for the hardwood handle option, you can reuse the handles if the rest breaks.
On the other hand, the metal handles will last longer than the hardwood handles.
And that brings us to comfort
Raking can provide you with a pretty good workout, and if you have a big yard, it could take a while to get the job done. For these reasons, you want to find a rake that offers something in the way of ergonomics.
Remember, a bigger rake doesn’t equate to being a comfortable rake, and it won’t cut down on the time you are outdoors. The larger size may actually become cumbersome.
Therefore, consider the size and height of the rake. Not all rakes are built the same, and one that a woman would use may not be suitable for a man because of the height differences.
10 Best Leaf Rakes
Now that you are armed with this knowledge, we can take a look at a few of the best leaf rakes currently available.
1. Fiskars Leaf Rake – Best Leaf Rake for Transporting Leaves
Rake Length: 67 inches
Head Width: 24 inches
If you are looking for a rake that can make raking and transporting larger quantities of leaves easier and faster, then this is a rake to consider. It has curved tines that grab the leaves without clogging it which makes getting the job done easier because you don’t have to constantly stop and clear off the stuck leaves.
- The 24-inch head is wide enough to cover a larger area
- Very lightweight
- Longer handle
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Has a plastic head
- Doesn’t do well with wet leaves
- Tines aren’t that sharp
- Can’t handle lifting heavier loads of leaves
2. Gardenite Adjustable Garden Leaf Rake – Best Adjustable and Flexible Leaf Rake
Rake Length: 63 inches
Head Width: adjustable 7-22 inches
This is an expandable and adjustable metal rake and is listed as one of Amazon’s choices. The adjustable head is able to expand from only 7 inches to a remarkable 22 inches, and this rake is also designed to be able to fit into tighter and narrower spaces that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to reach with a traditional rake.
- 15 flat tines on the expandable head
- Can reach into tight areas
- Durable zinc plated steel handle prevents rust
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Not designed for heavier items like rocks
- The handle becomes shorter when it is adjusted for the smallest rake head size
3. Bully Tools Bow Rake – Best Heavy Duty Leaf Rake
Rake Length: 66-inch handle
Head Width: 16-inches
If you are looking for a heavy-duty rake that can take on the challenge of moving gravel as well as leaves and other debris, then this is the rake for you. It is extremely durable because of its 12-gauge steel construction and offers the strength you need for heavier loads without taking on too much weight. It is another high-quality rake that falls on Amazon’s Choice list.
- Lightweight, strong, and durable
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Steel head and fiberglass handle that resists breakage
- 100% American made
- May be too short for taller people
- May pull out grass if you aren’t careful
4. Ames Welded Bow Rake – Best Leaf Rake for Small Yards
Rake Length: 57.5- inch handle
Head Width: 16-inches
This 16-tine Ames bow rake was designed to be able to easily conquer the task of loosening gravel and leveling soil. It is strong enough to break up even the most compact soil or mulch and can transport smaller pebbles and rocks. It is the ideal rake for any homeowner with a smaller yard or landscaping needs or an avid gardener.
- Hardwood handle provides strength and durability
- Has a 10-inch comfort grip
- Can be used for heavier tasks including soil and mulch
- Has a tempered steel head
- The head has been known to come apart
- Tines bent after a few uses
5. RazorBack Steel Rake – Best Steel Leaf Rake
Rake Length: 68-inches
Head Width: 24-inches
This rake was designed with steel head tines that will not become loose. It has a strong and durable fiberglass handle, and the 24-inch wide head has been bolted to the handle for a stronger and more secure connection. It is also a taller rake with the handle coming in around 51 inches and the total rake length of 68-inches.
- Flexible coil springs
- Ergonomic design is easier on the muscles
- Lightweight and durable
- Plenty of reach
- 9-inch cushioned grip
- May be slightly heavier than other rake options
6. TRG GK102R The Groundskeeper II Rake – Best Leaf Rake with Stiff Tines
Rake Length: 55 inches
Head Width: 21 inches
Gathering mulch at home shouldn’t be a problem with the GK102R from TRG. Also called the Groundkeeper, it will help you clean your garden as no other rake will.
The advantage comes directly from the super-sturdy tines. These tines will gather leaves, twigs, and everything in between without a single problem. Boasting a sizeable 55-inch yellow handle, it is also super practical and easy to use.
- Boasts 28 steel tines that rake everything away
- Broad raking head handles tons of garden debris
- Long-lasting fiberglass handle
- It is light and super-easy to use
- The tines and head are replaceable
- It comes with no assembly instructions
7. TABOR TOOLS J16A Telescopic Metal Rake – Most Portable Leaf Rake
Rake Length: 32 to 63 inches
Head Width: 8 to 23 inches
The ability to go from thin to ultra-wide rake is an advantage few models offer. The J16A does it perfectly with the collapsible design. While its full length is 63 inches, you can make it as small as 32 inche0s when folded. This will make it a piece of cake to transport and store.
You can adjust the length but also the width or span of the tines. It goes from 8 to 23 inches in seconds. This will make it even more useful, so you can tackle small spaces or huge lawns without a problem.
- Super-light construction for easy handling
- Quality handle & tines for durability
- Works in small and large spaces alike
- It’s easy to adjust with a locking clip
- Offers a rubberized grip for comfort
- Feels a bit unsteady when extended
8. Omni Products Telescopic Foldable Garden Rake – Best Leaf Rake for Ease of Use
Rake Length: 32 to 62.5 inches
Head Width: 7.5 to 19 inches
An adjustable and telescoping rake is never a bad option, especially if it comes directly from Omni Products. But the real advantage comes from the easy-to-adjust system, making it a piece of cake to telescope and adjust the head width.
You will also get a multi-functional rake that can tackle almost any type of debris, going from leaves to mulch and so on. And with its light yet sturdy design, it will make raking a more enjoyable experience.
- Aluminum alloy construction makes it last
- Boasts a comfy rubberized handle
- Lets you rake in small areas
- Handy length & width adjustments
- Light and practical design
- The tines may bend with harsh use
9. Corona RK 62061 Fixed Tine Leaf Rake – Most Resilient Leaf Rake
Rake Length: 54 inches
Head Width: 19 inches
If you want a rake that lasts a lifetime, then the RK 62061 from Corona will be perfect for your needs. It boasts an aluminum handle that withstands almost any use, plus an anti-slip grip for extra comfort.
What really sets it apart is the tempered spring steelhead, alongside double-crimped tines that stay firm at all times. This will ensure a long-lasting experience, handling even the toughest of raking jobs.
You also get a decent width and a bi-curved design, which ensures a more efficient raking experience.
- Aluminum & steel build last a lifetime
- Bi-curved tine design rakes fast
- The vinyl grip makes it comfy
- Long yet firm handle for easy use
- Fixed tines won’t break easily
- Small design not recommended for large jobs
10. ORIENTOOLS Telescopic Steel Leaf Rake – Most Versatile Leaf Rake
Rake Length: 32 to 63 inches
Head Width: 8 to 23 inches
With a magnificent reach and width, the telescopic leaf rake from Orientools will help you clean up your garden no matter its size. You can take it from 32 to 63 inches by just twisting the handle, or eventually take it from 8 to 23 inches in width with the lever on the handle base.
The rake can tackle any job while making it easy and comfy to do so. And sure enough, it is also durable with its aluminum build, so there’s nothing to worry about while using the rake.
- The telescopic design makes it easy to store
- Works on small and large jobs alike
- Sturdy aluminum handle withstands heavy use
- Decently light for effortless handling
- Super-easy to adjust width and length
- Feels a bit flimsy
Whether you need your rake for leveling soil, moving rocks, or raking leaves and mulch, you are sure to find the perfect one for your needs on this list. Again, take into consideration the kind of yard work you will be doing as well as your height, and these will help you find a rake that will help get all your chores done quickly and easily so you can spend less time working and more time enjoying your garden and yard.
|Garden Tool Directory|
|Garden Tools - Full List||Tool Sharpeners||Tool Storage Organizer|
|Lawn Mower||Lawn Scarifier||Garden Shears|
|Leaf Rake||Snow Blower||Garden Plow|
|Shovel||Snow Shovel||Garden Tool Shed|