Best Lawn Mower
|Craftsman Gasoline Lawn Mower
|• 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE unique
• Durable Wheels
|Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower
|• Durable 20-inch steel deck
• Easy push button start
|Greenworks Electric Lawn Mower with Battery and Charger
• Easy to use
|American Push Reel Lawn Mower
• Easy to use
|WORX Robotic Lawn Mower
|• Rain Sensor
• Fully Automated
|Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower
|• Height Adjustment
• Perfect for small to medium lawns
#1. Craftsman Gasoline Lawn Mower
Our Top Recommendation for Lawn Mower!
This 140CC OHV gas lawnmower offers a recoil starter and auto choke, as well as side and rear discharge and mulching capabilities. It also comes with a 21-inch cutting deck with six different height settings and a two-year warranty for worry-free use.
*We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you
Advantages of Craftsman Gas Mowers
- Gas mowers are not attached to a cord and can deliver all the power you need to cut through tough patches of grass, weeds, leaves, and debris.
- Different power ranges as defined by “horsepower” can be chosen based on how big of yard you own.
- Gas lawn mowers are fully adjustable in cutting height, can both mulch and bag grass, and are generally quite reliable.
- Self-propelled models use the engine to turn the wheels, pulling the mower over hills and inclines with ease.
Disadvantages of Craftsman Gas Mowers
While learning how to maintain a gasoline lawnmower is relatively easy, the maintenance needs of these mowers are a turnoff for many.
Components on the engine must be maintained and replaced, which include:
- Changing the air filter
- Changing the fuel filter
- Replacing spark plugs
- Changing out the oil
After every spring season, all the gasoline must be drained from the fuel tank, otherwise, it will become stale by next spring.
These engines are quite loud, emit CO2, and the exhaust can be agitating to sensitive people. Smog and sound ordinances prevent mowers of this type from being used in some areas.
Long term costs of fuel should be factored into the total cost of ownership. Despite these flaws, many people swear that this is the best lawn mower around.
#2. Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower
Advantages of Greenworks Corded Electric Mowers
- Electric lawnmowers use an electric motor instead of a gas engine. This results in much quieter operation in addition to very little maintenance. It’s also more eco-friendly than a gas mower.
- The only maintenance these mowers need is the occasional blade sharpening and the cleaning of grass debris on the underside. They are powered by an extension cord that plugs into an exterior wall outlet.
- Without the heavyweight of an engine block, an electric lawn mower is easy to maneuver and turn. As with gas mowers, they can mulch/bag grass, be adjusted in height and rarely break down.
Buying an industrial extension cord with the mower is a great idea.
Disadvantages of Greenworks Corded Electric Mowers
- CORD: The most obvious flaw with the electric mower design is its reliance on an extension cord. Due to this, the total electric mower range is limited to about 100 feet. Also, users must negotiate around the cord to make sure it does not get run over.
- POWER: Another potential issue is that electric motors are less powerful overall when compared to a gasoline engine. So, these mowers are best used on small to medium-sized yards.
#3. Greenworks Electric Lawn Mower with Battery and Charger
Advantages of Greenworks Electric Lawn Mower with Battery and Charger
- Cordless models are quiet and low-maintenance and are not restricted to the length of a cord.
- You get the portability of a gasoline lawnmower with the smooth operation of an electric one.
- After each use, the mower’s onboard battery is charged at any wall outlet.
Disadvantages of Greenworks Electric Lawn Mower with Battery and Charger
- The built-in battery pack adds quite a bit of weight to the mower, making it a weight comparable to a gas mower.
- Mowing sessions must be planned ahead, as the battery packs can take around 12 to 14 hours to fully charge.
- You can get about 60-75 minutes of use out of a single charge.
- As with corded mowers, battery-powered units are less powerful and are intended for modest to medium-sized yards.
Be prepared to invest in a new battery pack every couple of years.
#4. American Push Reel Lawn Mower
Advantages of American Push Reel Lawn Mowers
Also called “push mowers” or “manual mowers”, the reel mower is human-powered and has no onboard motor.
- Very quiet and low-maintenance, push reels have a set of helical metal blades that turn as the unit is pushed along.
- Push reel mowers are pleasant to use and offer a mild workout.
- Most units cut grass into mulch, but some have grass capture bags that attach to the rear.
- Varying cutting widths and adjustable height make the push reel quite versatile.
They are the greenest and most eco-friendly of all the mowers.
Disadvantages of American Push Reel Lawn Mowers
- With less power overall, the push lawn mower is not as fast at cutting grass and should be reserved for small, manageable yards.
- The lawn should be cut regularly to prevent weeds and tall grass from forming, as push reels have difficulty cutting thick brush.
#5. WORX Robotic Lawn Mower
Advantages of WORX Robotic Mowers
Robotic lawnmowers combine the best of robotics and lawn mowing to form a high tech yard tool. The initial setup involves setting out the perimeter wire to contain the ‘bot to the yard.
At a scheduled time, the robot will leave its charging “house” and make its way across the yard, returning to the base when done.
Many advanced features are available, including:
- Multi-zone mowing
- Bluetooth capability
- Adaptive programming
- Audible theft alarms (wow!)
Run times vary from around 1.5 to 5 hours.
Claims are made that these robots are safer than walk behind lawn mowers because users stay far from the blades.
Disadvantages of WORX Robotic Mowers
- Again, when compared to a gasoline engine, these electric models are weaker.
- Users must program the robot for frequent mowing in order to keep the yard to a manageable size.
- Most robots can only mulch being that they have no onboard bag.
- People may be inclined to steal such a high tech mower even with a theft alarm engaged.
- Setting up the cutting path may be difficult for those who are not technically inclined.
In addition, leaving a bladed robot to go about its business alone can be uncomfortable for some.
#6. Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower
Advantages of Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower
As technology progressed, it paved the way for advancements in push mowers. In recent years, their functionality has improved a great deal that a rechargeable mower is as great as a gas engine mower. For people with medium to small yards, cordless electric mowers are ideal.
You won’t have to be concerned about clumsy wires or the release of dangerous gases. These are more ecologically responsible, peaceful, and have a longer lifespan.
The following are some of the cordless push mowers’ advantageous features:
- They offer a quieter operation.
- You do not have to be bothered about any gas emission
- There is no need to worry about changing the batteries
- Most cordless electric mowers need low maintenance, as you do not need to change their plugs, oil, etc.
- Since these are lighter than gas mowers, you can easily maneuver them.
- Most of them come with a disposable bag or a grass catcher.
- Just switch on the push mower and push it to get a clean and crisp yard.
Disadvantages of Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower
- The biggest con is that most are suitable only for medium to small yards or lawns.
- Some push mowers can take a long time to get fully charged.
- These mowers cannot run as long as a gas push mower.
Be prepared to charge your batteries more often if you have a larger yard or a yard in a very bad shape.
Lawn Mower Terminology
- Mulch – Mulching is the process of cutting grass and allowing it to fall back onto the lawn. This can be done during any time of the year. The dead grass adds growth-promoting nitrogen to the soil. Some of the best lawn mowers can both mulch and bag grass.
- Bagging – Lawnmowers with bags capture most of the grass they cut for disposal or for use in creating compost. Many people pour their grass clippings into composters for use in the garden.
- Deck – The deck is the main base of the lawnmower, made of a solid steel piece (gas) or plastic (electric). Decks support all of the components of a mower, including the engine, wheels, and control handle. Wider decks can support bigger cutting blades.
- Self Propelled – Expensive self-propelled lawn mowers have a gear system that is hooked in with the motor. The wheels turn by themselves with a speed that can be controlled. Large yards with steep inclines can be negotiated with ease using a self-propelled model.
- Horsepower – Push mowers have a horsepower range of around 3 to 10. Large riding mowers are equipped with 12 to 18 horsepower. Basically, the higher this rating, the faster the blades can turn, which reduces mowing time. Heavy brush is best cut with a high horsepower mower.
|Garden Tool Directory
|Garden Tools - Full List
|Tool Storage Organizer
|Garden Tool Shed