What’s worse than having to deal with several inches of snow? Not being ready to do so. For these snow-filled days, you can definitely benefit from having the right snow blower ready and waiting to help you deal with the unexpected snowfall.
A snow blower makes tackling the snow much easier, faster, and safer than having to shovel it all by hand. With that being said, there are four different types of snow blowers you can choose from. These include electric, single-stage, two-stage, and three-stage options.
Electric snow blowers are ideal when faced with light snow up to twelve inches. They work on paved surfaces but are not suitable for hilly areas.
Single-stage snow blowers are good for up to thirteen inches of snow on paved areas and they provide you with a larger clearing width of approximately 18-22 inches.
Two-stage snow blowers are great for up to 23.5 inches of snowfall and can be used on both paved and gravel surfaces as well as hilly areas. It provides a much higher clearing width that can reach up to 45-inches making it easier to clear a lot more snow in a much faster time.
The three-stage snow blowers are suitable for snowfall of up to 21 inches and also work on paved and gravel areas and hills. Many three-stage snow blower models feature self-propelled wheels, heated grips, and even single-press chute control making the snow clearing process more comfortable and a lot faster.
When choosing the best snow blower for the job, you need to ask yourself a few questions:
- How much of an area do I need to clear?
- What snow depth am I most likely going to have to tackle?
- What kind of snow? Heavy or light?
- What terrain do you have to work on?
Our Top Recommendation for Snow Blower!
PowerSmart PSS2260BS is a 2-stage snow blower that features a Briggs & Stratton 250cc gasoline engine. It boasts heated grips, an electronic start, a configurable control panel, and 180 chute rotation. This equipment is perfect for cleaning huge driveways and walkways of snow.
*We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you
Best Snow Blower on the Market
|PowerSmart Snow Blower||• 2 stage snowblower|
• Electric start
• 180° Chute Control
|PowerSmart 2-Stage Electric Start Snow Blower||• Snow Clearing Capability|
• 2 Stage Snow Blower
• Powerful Battery
|Troy-Bilt Storm Electric Start Two-Stage Snow Thrower||• Clears large snowy walkways up to 30" wide and 21" deep in one pass|
• Comes with an in-dash headlight
• Designed with 16" x 6.5" X-Trac tires provide you with durability to tackle all types of winter conditions
|Husqvarna Two-Stage Electric Start Snow Blower||• High capacity belt system for extra capability in heavy snow|
• 4 steps height adjustable handle for ergonomic operation
• Tie strap auger support for fast and easy change of the chute direction with a lever on the panel
|Ariens Compact Two-Stage Snow Blower||• Compact Two Stage Snow Blower|
• 120V electric start
#1. PowerSmart Snow Blower – Best Snow Blower for Clearing Driveways
This snow blower from PowerSmart can defy even the heaviest snow cover, thanks to its B&S 250CC engine and corded electric starter. It’s a two-stage snowblower with a powerful augur that slices through even the roughest snow while also diverting it away from the chute, eliminating clogging. This blower boasts a one-hand 180° chute control and LED lights, making it a breeze to use and regulate. It has a snow throwing distance of 40 feet and is suitable for clearing 6 to 12 inches of snow. In addition, it comes with a push-button electric start that claims to work in temperatures as low as -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Works even in -20 degree temperature
- It can cut through the thickest snow covering
- It comes with an anti-clogging augur
- Easy to start and control
- Versatile wheels
- Some customers complained about the belt not staying in place
- Poor customer service
#2. PowerSmart 2-Stage Electric Start Snow Blower – Best Snow Blower for Heavy Snowfall
If you want even more snow-clearing action and power, then this 2-stage snowblower from PowerSmart can help clear the most slippery of terrain with its deep snow tread bites. It has a 40′ throwing distance and there is a guarantee that the machine will start in up to -20 degrees Fahrenheit weather conditions, so it is always ready when you are. It is a powerful and dependable option with a heavy-duty steel frame and auger system that will last for years.
- Versatile control panel
- 180 chute rotation makes it easier to use
- Easy to assemble
- Quick to start
- Can power through heavy snow
- Plastic shoot
- No off switch
#3. Troy-Bilt Storm Electric Start Two-Stage Snow Thrower – Best Snow Blower for Heavy Snowfall
This is another option that is good when dealing with heavy snow. It can effectively clear a snowy walkway that is up to 26-inches wide and 21-inches deep and can do this in just one pass. It also features reversible skid shoes which provide this machine with much more control.
- Extended chute design to prevent blow back
- Easy to use with quick push-button start
- Self-propelled power steering offers control and improved maneuverability
- Impressive 26-inch wide clearing path
- Chute lever trigger may require more effort
- Some feel the reverse gearing is too low
#4. Husqvarna Two-Stage Electric Start Snow Blower – Best Snow Blower to Use on Hilly Terrain
If the snow-filled area you have to clear each winter consists of hilly terrain, then this 2-stage snow blower is what you need to make the job easier. It is also listed as one of Amazon’s Choices for the best snow blower. It can effectively clear snow from large driveways and paths and the skid shoes make it easy to do on any surface type.
- Handle is height adjustable for comfort
- Friction disc transmission offers smoother operation
- Heated handle grips
- LED headlights for improved visibility
- Electric starter works in all kinds of weather conditions
- Belt and pulley are noisy
- No way to turn the headlights off
- Heated grips take a while to heat up
#5. Ariens Compact Two-Stage Snow Blower – Best Snow Blower to Handle Wet Snow
If you need a snow blower that is a bit more heavy-duty and can handle the impact and weight of wet snow, then this one is for you. It is self-propelling and boasts of six forward speeds and two reverse speeds. It has a width clearance of 24-inches and a depth clearance of 20-inches. Often referred to as a “beast” it can get up steep driveways and can handle snow banks that are even taller than the machine.
- Easy and quick start
- Headlight for visibility
- Long warranty
- Sturdy and durable
- Electric starter works in all kinds of weather conditions
- Headlight is weak
- Reverse is a bit slow
Snow Blower Features
Now we will take a closer look at some of the features snow blowers offer. You will find that most two and three-stage snow blowers will come with these following features:
- Electric starters. Push-button start instead of having to manually start it.
- Single hand operation allows you to easily make any necessary adjustments
- Power steering allows for easier maneuverability
- Drift cutters allow you to cut through deeper snow much easier
- Heated handles make the job of clearing snow much more comfortable
Now we will take a closer look at each snow blower type and offer reviews on what we feel are some of the best in the above categories.
All of these options are suitable for helping you easily and quickly clear out snow so you can spend less time outdoors in the harsh weather and more time indoors with your feet up. While most of the reviewed models are two-stage machines, you can also opt for a three-stage snow blower for its enhanced performance levels and a cleaner driveway, but you also need to be ready for the higher price tag that comes along with it.