Whether for home, work, the classroom or outdoors, signs are a popular trend to celebrate holidays and events. These DIY Halloween yard signs make it easy and fun to celebrate Halloween.
Spooky DIY Halloween Yard Signs
Perfect for beginners or more experienced crafters, these DIY Halloween yard signs are ideal for the fall season.
Read More: 15 Spooktacular Halloween Yard Ideas
1. Chalkboard Sign
Are you counting down the days until Halloween? A chalkboard sign is an easy way to remind everyone when the big day is.
Making your own chalkboard sign is simple to do.
How to make a Halloween chalkboard sign:
- Start with a piece of plywood that you would like to convert into a sign.
- Paint over it with chalkboard paint.
- Let the chalkboard paint dry, and you can draw on it with chalk!
- Customize it with some artistic flair and touches, such as pumpkins and ghosts.
- Frame it with an artistic frame for a classy finish.
Tips For Making A Chalkboard Sign
- Use chalkboard paint to make writable areas.
- Seal any areas that you want to have a painted trim.
- Season the board before using it by rubbing it down heavily with chalk that is wet and then erasing it with a wet rag.
- You can use chalk paint markers for a creative and vibrant look.
- If you want to keep your design instead of reusing the chalkboard, then seal it with polyacrylic spray.
2. Stenciled Halloween Sign
Tips for stenciling:
- When using stencils, get the most out of them by using small parts of them in creative ways.
- You can use stencils on a variety of materials. Try ceramic, glass, fabric, metal, paper, canvas and laminate for something other than wood.
- Use a washable paint product. It is more forgiving and you still get great results when it is dry. When you want to change the sign, simply wash it off.
- Keep your sign clean and work area clean with some spray bottles filled with water and paper towels.
- Use painter’s tape for neat lines and clear boundaries.
- Go from either right to left or left to right to keep the project organized.
- Remove any unwanted paint spots with q tips.
- Don’t expect your stencil to be perfect. Flaws add to the whimsical design.
3. Trick or Treat Pallet Sign
What you will need for this project:
- Pallet stick
- Fusion Mineral Paint
- Transfer Paper
- 120 grit sander and sander
- No 2 Round Brush
How to make a trick or treat pallet sign:
- Use the jigsaw to cut the pallet to size.
- Paint the pallet with two coats of paint and then let it dry.
- Sketch out the letters for trick or treat.
- Now, fill in the letters with black paint.
- Coat it with wax to seal it off and place it outside.
Place it near your doorbell or a bowl of candy you leave out while you’re celebrating Halloween!
4. Pallet Pumpkin Sign
Create a pumpkin pallet sign for a rustic feature this Halloween. Here is what you’ll need to make this sign:
How to make a pumpkin pallet sign:
- Trace the shape of pumpkin onto a clean pallet.
- Use a saw to cut out the shape, and sand the edges.
- Paint it orange, and don’t forget to add a green stem.
- You can also use black paint to add jack o’ lantern facial features.
Materials for the project:
- Orange Pom Pom ribbon
- Wood Stain
- Orange and White acrylic paint
- Wooden garden stakes cut to size for your sign and two stakes for the length of your sign
- ¾ inch wood screws
How to make a rustic DIY Halloween yard sign:
- The first step is to cut the garden stakes to the size and shape that you want. Use a sander to lightly sand down the edges.
- Next, use a brush to apply wood stain to the wood lightly. Use a rag to wipe off the excess.
- Let the wood stain set and dry. A sanding block is good for distressing edges and creating areas that you want to look more weathered.
- Lay the garden stakes out horizontally and use the wood screws to secure them together with a cross strip laid on the top and on the bottom.
- Now you have the basic design for the sign. The next step is to decorate it.
- Use a large plate to trace out a circle on the wood.
- Paint this circle in white.
- When it dries, spell out “Boo” in orange paint either freehand or with stencils over it.
- You can glue props like fake spiders or orange Pom poms on the wood for a cute 3D effect. You can also tie an orange ribbon around the top for an adorable look.
This list has a few creative ideas for getting started making your own DIY Halloween Yard signs.
Whether you’re hosting a pumpkin patch or want to customize your Halloween yard decorations, everyone will be sure to notice your unique, handmade sign.
More Halloween yard ideas: